Saturday, December 24, 2011

I've got a feva...

Yesterday my hypothalamus decided to host the hottest party of the year, tipping the thermometer at 39.5* Celsius, or 103.1* Fahrenheit. It's interesting how much we take homeostasis for granted-- You don't really think to constantly be thankful for a steady 98.5 until all of a sudden you feel like you're trapped in a native american sweat lodge. All I remember about my miserable 12-hour stay on the sun is audibly telling a cool washcloth that it was my best friend, and finally falling asleep on the bathroom floor (because I had the shivers and the bathroom tile is heated.) Does everyone else do weird things like this when they're sick too? I sure hope so. Fortunately Peggy's best friend is an ENT doctor, and gave me prescription antibiotics (from America even!) without me having to leave my bed. Today I felt much better, and have not since laid on the bathroom floor.

I went to church for Christmas Eve with the fam, and when we came home Santa had come already. Yeah, Santa comes in the middle of the day at some point on the 24th. I think American Santa has it way better.. The kids are asleep-- that's 12 hours of potential go-time. This is one way in which Germans are not so practical. Also, here it's normal to put your Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve, and then leave it for most of January. I wonder who decides these norms for each country?

I read the Christmas story in my Bible today and later heard it read in German. It was the same story- different language. I just think that's so neat if you think about it. So, cheers to Jesus, my family, cool washcloths and homeostasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment