This weekend I spent some time in Belgium. Apparently Brussels is the political capital of Europe-- the travel map we had boasted this as a point of pride, but- not to sound ignorant- did anyone even know that the continent of Europe had a capital? Does North America have a capital too? It must be in Canada somewhere.
As for Belgium, well, it's a pretty country. The stereotypes are all true; there are chocolates and waffles everywhere. Quaint buildings. Big windmills. Little canals. (I took a canal boat ride that was excitingly similar to Disneyland's Jungle Cruise, dripping with puns and the kinds of jokes that really make me slap my knee and not feel silly about it.) There are some good pictures of the trip that will make their way to the Facebook soon, so I'd suggest keepin' an eye out. Mainly because I tried escargot for the first time and it's documented all the way through. Think I loved it? Think again. Also, I'm not sure the point in having 400 different kinds of beer produced in your country, but they have that going for them too. I tried one. I'm sure it tastes almost exactly like at least 64% of the others.
Life is finally "normal"-ish here after 3 weeks of visitors, Spring Breaks, vacations, and bears- oh my! (Ignore the part about the bears, grandpa, there are no bears here and I am safe.) The normalcy comes just in time for my parents to arrive on Friday--And they are bringing Funfetti and mac'n'cheese!
And now for a segment I like to call Obvious indicators that the writers of my GRE study book were clearly having a good time: Pg. 548, Appendix C, defining the word Engender with a sentence, "His fear and hatred of clowns was ENGENDERED when he witnessed the death of his father at the hands of a clown." (I can hear it now... "Yeah, and Charlie actually sent it to print! Ha!") Tune in next time for their definition of Fanatical using Stormtroopers and the emperor.
Yay! Sounds like a fun trip. By the way...Brussels is only the de facto capitol of the EU. I researched it when Becca and I were going from Paris to Amsterdam and wondered if it was worth a stop. Since there is no North American union I doubt you'll find the capitol in Canada :)
ReplyDeleteBut anyway, I'm so excited for your parents to come!! I'm sure you guys are going to have an amazing time. I feel like we haven't talked in a while, but I'm glad that I get to catch up with you on your blog! Can't wait for reunion time this summer :)