Friday, March 16, 2012

I've got sunshine

I have lived in Deutschland now for 4 months and one half.

The other day I was thinking about how hard it will be to stop intermingling German words in my English sentences when I get home. Of course I don't have to stop, but I do run the risk of my friends and family only understanding 80% of any given sentence. Could be fun-- it'd be like perpetual Catchphrase.

Right now I have M&M cookies baking in the oven. My go-to cookies to bake are usually oatmeal chocolate chip.. Um, YUM. But I am 3 shades of frustrated after 1. Germany doesn't have chocolate chips. 2. I don't trust oats in someone's cupboard unless there is a friendly-looking Quaker-hat-wearing man on the outside. And 3. Germany uses the metric system, which makes reading a recipe involve more math than making cookies should involve. I sure hope these turn out, otherwise I'm throwing in the towel-- the towel that coincidentally has a couple holes burned through it after I tried to fix the broken oven to bake my consolation-at-best cookies.

Enough with all the whining, BEAUTIFUL weather is upon us!! I took today's 70* weather very seriously. Not only did I wear my most springy t-shirt, but I finally came to the rescue of my beloved Rainbow flipflops. When I walked into town (I live in a village... I mean it when I say "I walked into town") to get some groceries, I smiled as the rhythm of the flip and flop took to the pavement. I missed you, old friends. Zee Germans gave me a few "It's too soon..." stares as I strolled the street, but I could not be bothered. It's like that "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" song, but backwards and applied to weather. Today they took down the parking lot and put up paradise.

Congrats yous on survivin' the Ides. Hope y'er Paddy's Day's as green as they come!

1 comment:

  1. You need to write a book. Seriously. What a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete