Hi, my name is Sarah, and I am competitive.
All together now... Hiiii Sarahhh.
It would probably be unwise to start using this blog as a means of revealing character flaws. That's why I'm not going to tell you about how when I played soccer with a 7-year-old today, I felt my competitive side start to flare up. "Really?" I thought, "Not again..." I was reminded of the following story-- or epiphany rather-- that happened during the English Camp that I helped with back in 2010. About 20 of us were playing soccer. It was a pool day. There were not even shoes. It was a church camp. We were representing the Lord. It was a friendly camp. We were all best friends or something. So for this soccer game, were we even keeping score? Who said anyone had to win? Who even cares who won? To get to the point-- apparently I cared. Because as I slide-tackled one of the nicest 14-year-olds at the camp all the way to the ground, I simultaneously slide-tackled my dignity out of existence. My "let's tone it allll the way down, shall we?" epiphany came instantly, and was reaffirmed when the student looked at me as if to say "Jeez... what kind of game are you playing?" I'm still trying to make a conscious effort to only be competitive when it is appropriate and/or necessary. Hopefully admitting it will keep me accountable. And maybe just maybe, one day my equally-competitive siblings and I will be able to play a board game together again.
Friday is upon us again! (It's so dang reliable, this whole 24-hour thing.) The past several Fridays have been extra "T.G.I" knowing that in only four Fridays from now, I will be picking my parents up at the airport. Can you say "O.M.G"?? If I think about it for more than a few sentences, my heart will burst, so I'll just stop with this: I'm really really excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment