Remember how a few posts back I got all sentimental about Frankfurt and told you to listen to "this" song?
Since then, Bon Iver was teased on SNL when Justin Timberlake mocked how you can't really understand the words to the songs. I thought it was hilarious. Plus, publicity is publicity, so I was glad to have done my part by posting "Towers" which I've recently been lovin'. You know, spread the word of an already very popular artist to all four readers of my blog. You can thank me later, Bon Iver. Backstage passes will be fine.
I woke up to find that yesterday my favorite blog had posted the same song, with its newly released music video! I was excited about it enough to use that exclamation point!
Watching the video, I nodded my head and furrowed my eyebrows in deep thought as I fabricated metaphoric nonsense for what it could all mean, and how it relates to the song, ("Oh I see, so that house is like a tower... One of the two towers...And those mountains must represent Mordor. Wait..." Somehow all of my metaphors go back to Lord of the Rings.) Although rugged old men with old trucks in cool forests are clearly ingredients for a great story, when the video finished, my head had long since stopped nodding. All I could think was, "Ummm I don't get it." This was frustrating. I think I'll stick to just listening to the song rather than trying to figure out how a bunch of sticks falling into the ocean makes someone want to jump in water fully clothed and float... or does he die? Something to do with Voldemort maybe..?
As always, the moral of the story is probably to aim for the stars. Don't stop believing.
I miss academia.
I finally caught up with all your blogs! Girl, you are funny! Why weren't you like this when we lived together? juuuust kidding, you were hilarious then too. Miss you! Sounds like you are happy and having a good time! I may have been researching Germany tickets, but when I started doing that I was like, oh look how close eastern europe is, and then I started looking up prices and it's so cheap there...and then I started planning this huge month long trip where I go to every country in Europe. Help.
ReplyDeleteHow about you focus your efforts into our Route 66 drive.. which is tad more realistic than seeing 30 countries in 30 days :)
DeleteSarah Finn,
ReplyDeleteNot only is your writing very very good, but it also follows one of the key tenets of communication. Always end with a good strong Journey reference. It's vague but poignant, allowing for maximum emotional impact across a diverse group of people.
And, to answer your other questions on how to panhandle, you definitely want to have a dog when you're panhandling. Sure, it doesn't make you look responsible, but that perception is never really on the table anyway when your panhandling.