All day something has been plaguing me. The oh-so-human feeling of "I'm forgetting something. What is it??" If you didn't already know this about me, I'm somewhat of a birthday/dates in general freak-of-nature. That is, I can remember the dates of most of the high school dances I attended, the dates of my graduations, the dates of vacations from the past 9 years, and not just my friends' birthdays, but also birthdays of my friends' family members.. Like I said-- freak-of-nature. But today was off. I knew I was missing something.
And then, at 8:26pm, it hit me. Abraham Lincoln's birthday is today. Last year I remember celebrating by taking a picture with my Abraham Lincoln mug (such a good gift), and wearing the Abe shirt that I own.
While I am disappointed in myself, I suppose a part of me is also content that I'm more normal than I thought. What I mean is-- it's safe to say that most Americans don't know that it's one of our most celebrated president's birthday, and they are totally okay with it. But maybe if you think about it, send a little shout out at your dinner tables tonight. Who knows what kind of wild conversations can spark from a toast to ol' Honest Abe.
It looks like tonight I will be honoring Lincoln by re-creating a Sunday night straight out of the 1800s. Not on purpose, but since the oil that fuels the heat throughout the building ran out this morning and we are now without a radiator or hot water, I am currently being warmed by about 30 tea-light candles lit throughout the room. And other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?
No comments:
Post a Comment