Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's peanut time

This blog is for my grandpa Finn today on his 80th Birthday!! When I spoke to him on the phone last night, he subtly and modestly requested that I recall in my blog that I had talked to him. This is true, but I would also like to add that it was the highlight of my whole day :) Love you, grandpa. Can't wait for peanut time in August!

This weekend I galavanted through Munich with Leigh and her parents. It was a blast and a half.. We went here, to the top of here, here, and the top of there.





It still is hard for me to grasp that I can just take a weekend vacation to a place like Munich (or next weekend, Luxembourg. Or a weekend in January, Amsterdam. Can't wait!!). Needless to say, I have been pretty thankful the past several days.... Cue transition... Speaking of Abraham Lincoln-- did you know?? that although residents of the U.S. had been celebrating Thanksgiving for centuries, they sort of just celebrated it whenever their particular community decided to celebrate. Lincoln is the one who decided in 1863 to declare a specific date and make it a national holiday (the last Thursday in November) in an effort to encourage unity between the North and the South.


In other news, realizations of German practicality continues: The word for "gloves" is "Handschuhe" which literally translated means "hand shoes"... Because what is a "glove" anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment