Friday, November 4, 2011

Ich bin ein Au-Pair

Well here we are. I knew that it would eventually be hard to blog about this experience, and explain everything, but I did not know that that would be on just day 2!

In a completely uncreative way of saying this; I'm having a great time. Among [many] other things, my bathroom has heated tile floors. Really I'm not sure what else needs to be said here...

These first couple days have been a little off with scheduling because Peggy [the host mom] has her parents in town for the weekend. Seeing as they don't speak English, I've successfully encountered my first "deer in the headlights" moments, when her mom and I were left at the house alone to pretty much stare at each other and attempt to communicate. Those who can't appreciate a good awkward silence may have gotten a little queezy...

The kids haven't really seemed to notice that I don't speak German. It's great. We have a blast, and when they say something, pretty much all I say is "Ok!" or "Ya!!" or "Nein!" I wonder if they will figure me out soon. Today Ella talked to me for about a minute and I went through my 3 words. Her grandma asked me in German if I understood what she'd said. I said, Nope! And she thought this was hilarious. Apparently I'd said all the right things to make her think I could understand her.

After lunch (which is the big meal of the day), we went to the park. The most beautiful park I've ever seen. It's real fall weather. I wore my new peacoat. And as if that wasn't enough, we played in the biggest pile of leaves for nearly an hour. (Sorry, German leaf sweeper...)




More pics soon! Tschüss!

1 comment:

  1. Freaking adorable children!!! so glad it's been going well!

    ReplyDelete