Yes. This blog will probably definitely address at least one of those things.
When I first arrived, the family was quick to introduce me to "true Frankfurt food". Silly though it may sound, I was struck with the thought of, "What would I take someone to eat if they came to visit? What is unique to the U.S.? I mean, it's kind of a melting pot of food, right?" Well wonderers, think no further. For after 2 weeks, I have discovered a few of the things which we gloriously indulge in more than (or better than) they do in Germany.
1. Hamburgers. Like... good hamburgers.
2. Sandwiches. Not that it's good for you at all, but a little mayo probably wouldn't hurt now and then, German Sandwich shops. And where is the honey mustard, avocado, and havarti?
3. Peanut butter. That's right. It's a completely foreign object here.
4. Cereal. Sorry, but Müsli is not cereal.
5. S'mores. Not that I have s'mores more than once or twice a year, but still it's comforting when people around you know what a graham cracker is, at least.
This is only the beginning of these discoveries. So far I've introduced the family to banana pancakes and peanut butter with apples (they thought this was crazy, but loved them). And Starburst, and Reese's (If anyone feels compelled to mail me more, the mom loved Reese's...)
You know those days when the 3 year old you're living with finally let's you get her ready for bed without screaming for her mom? Don't you just love those days? Bis Später!
The little girl in Italy loooved bananas, but the family had never had banana bread, so I got all excited and made it for them....and she didn't like it. People tend to like what they're used to. I had a lot of European girls tell me that spreading peanut butter on bread was like eating a sandwich with half inch of butter to them. I lived in London for almost 4 months and never tried Marmite...so I'm not any better!
ReplyDelete