Monday, September 12, 2011

The Pleasanton Public Library.

Now here's a venue that I can really agree with.. Free wi-fi, outlets a'plenty, quiet- but still echoes with sounds of little readers too young to be in school and of confused adults who think taking phone calls in a quiet library is socially acceptable- and best of all, I don't have to feign thirstiness for $3 when really all I want is a change of scenery.

A not-so-confused adult sitting right next to me just took a phone call and relayed to the person on the other end to wait just a second. He then asked me to "watch" his things- a laptop, and a leather briefcase. Now, I've watched enough reality shows to know that this responsibility may or may not end up on National TV. Technically I am "watching" his stuff.. Peripherally. But I'm just waiting for someone who is not the man that entrusted a stranger with $1000 worth of materials to walk up and take a look around, then take the laptop that I all of a sudden feel kindred to. I have developed quite the plan in my head for just such an occasion because.. well because I wouldn't want to look like a goon on National TV.

Currently I'm struggling with the life lesson of "decision making" in that- I hate it. If anyone has some great pointers, or would like to make decisions for me, please contact me immediately. It's that heart-pounding, "what if I choose wrong", "is this what God wants or is it what I want", back-and-forth, stomach-ache, "should I get people's advice about this or not", feeling. Are you familiar with the kind? Ain't so fun.

Today I hung out with my grandpa and rocked his world by showing him Google maps street view. We visited his childhood streets in Oakland, the beaches of San Diego (where an old friend had always asked him to come visit), and then cruised to Germany. Thank you, technology. That was an awesome experience.

When Grandpa asked me what I'd done today, I told him I'd been running errands all over the place. He said, "You did all those errands without your hair combed??" ...I suppose I won't be wearing my hair curly for a while.

1 comment:

  1. okay the hair thing, happens to me all the time - i love my unruly hair

    ReplyDelete