Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Home sweet home

There are a few things that living at home post-college have put into perspective for me: 

1. A fully-stocked kitchen. You cannot put a value on this. I'm not talking about food (though I could, because dang that's great too) but I mean utensils, spatulas, mixing bowls (plural), pots & pans (plural), and a garlic press just in case I need it. There are no garlic presses in college-- it's the bare necessities and sometimes even less than. I don't miss using a 6 quart pot to make a bowl of mac n' cheese for one (and then using a big spoon to drain the water because we don't have a strainer. You lose so many good noodles to that technique.) 

2. Cable television. After living without it for 3 years, then moving home to a 4-TV, 2-DVR household, I've concluded that it's definitely not necessary, but you can still bet your bottom-dollar that I have jumped back in with full force. Shout out to Discovery channel for keeping me entertained with your multiple shows whose premises are focused on people who are addicted to stuff. Ironically I'm now addicted to your show.

3. Early bedtimes. When in college was 10:30 considered super-late? Never. Living at home, I start looking at the clock around 9:15 wondering if I would still be considered 23 if I went to bed. Then it ends up being 10 before I do, because I have to see how the aforementioned addicts on the Discovery channel are doing in their "5-months later" recap at the end. 

4. Dogs. I love dogs. I can't wait to own a dog (but I can.) I've missed being around the family dog(s) while away, and luckily for me, we now own 3 dogs. This is insane, I realize, but trust me when I tell you that those fur-balls will love you to pieces. Our most recent addition, Jesse, is 4-months-old and pretty much acts like a toddler human. Today my mom and I were chatting at the counter for no more than 10 minutes, with Jesse 15 feet away in the other room. 10 minutes was more than enough time for her to amputate and massacre the poor frog toy.. But how could you be mad at that nose-less little face??

1 comment:

  1. I died. "Shout out to discovery channel for all your shows on addicts..." Ridiculous and yet one of the reasons that it's so necessary for me not to have cable

    ReplyDelete