Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Test days, best days

Today I am thankful that I was able to go here until late last night

...predominantly because today is a test day for all my classes. While the grading will stack up over the next few hours, I'm thankful for these test days. And for living close enough to go to two different baseball stadiums in a three-day span.

Yesterday was around 90 degrees and less than half of the track runners showed up to practice. We rewarded the faithfuls with a short run that ended in this:
 You've never seen tweens get so excited about a garden hose. They don't have an app for that.

This is the last week of track. This is the last week of helicopter parent emails. I'm not sure when a 12-year-old's mile time has ever mattered in the scope of the universe, but it probably holds true somewhere that the more emails you send the more likely they are to run in the Olympics in 2020.

Enough of my sarcasm and negativity, summer is nigh! This year my birffday falls on the last day of school. For this exact reason, I've always been fond of my birffday. The weather in the last couple of weeks have more than prepared me for summer days and nights of reading, socializing, and overall not having any task too tall. I'm interning with the middle & high school youth ministries this summer at church and I am so looking forward to what that will look like. So far, seeing the other folks they've hired to work alongside me, it will look like a lot of laughter. I also hear there might be work involved.

I've recently taken to riding my bike and giving my SUV & gas tank its own little reprieve on the weekends. This weekend was an unexpected wunderbar ride down memory lane. On my way to the drugstore I received a text message from my sister saying that she had seen "some German thing" downtown Pleasanton and that "they might have food or something, I don't know." She was incredibly enthusiastic. Having still been in somewhat of a week-long rut and feeling sorry for myself that I no longer lived in a "cool place" (someone give me a reality check. Or see paragraph one), this downtown event had the potential to pull me right up out of there. Sho'nuff', a local German school which I did not know existed was hosting their annual fundraiser. I didn't waste time asking friends if they wanted to join me-- the answer was 'No, Sarah. You're weird'-- so I marched in and ordered my bratwurst and kartoffeln, with Hefeweizen on the side. I spoke German as much as possible to the ticket-takers, hung on every word of the Bavarian band, and met the principal of the school when she felt sorry for me sitting alone and invited me to sit with her. We spoke Denglish and I assured her I was not sad and lonely, but rather elated that I'd had the good fortune of hearing about their event from my sister. We each enjoyed some apple strudel, and now I plan on taking classes from them in the fall. Ja voll!



It's about that time of year where I start to think about what this summer/next year will hold, and how long I can go on saying "I'm not going anywhere this summer/year" before booking my ticket to somewhere across the country. So far so good-- no tickets purchased as of yet-- but we all know how well that's gone over in the past. If I successfully stay-put in the country this year, it will be the first time in 5 years that I've done so. Isn't it crazy that on this exact day last year I had similar sentiments? Creepy enough, I didn't even plan it... Must be something about the air on May 21.

Test days are the best days. I've missed blogging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment