Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hair kuts, avacados, and gud spelers

One of the best feel-good activities I can think of (besides looking at the stars, winning a game of Free Cell, and making fun shapes out of the cheese you put on your Wheat Thins), is getting a haircut. There's just nothing like the feeling of walking out of a salon after a good trim, knowing that your hair hasn't looked better than it does right then. For this reason, I've already made a hair appointment to take place 17 hours after I land in America. I am sure that about 16.95 of those hours will be spent sleeping or in a half-conscious state of socializing, but I imagine that a haircut is the perfect cure for jet-lag and reverse culture shock. I can't wait.

Every year I seem to come across the article announcing the Scripp's National Spelling Bee's winning word. And every year, I have the same vain thought of, "Pshhh.. I totally coulda spelled that." This year's winning word was "guetapens" which apparently the word processor I'm using does not seem to recognize, because it's a n00b. (Also let the record show that "n00b" does not produce the red underline misspelling alert like guetapens does. #generationaltechnologygap) Previous words include 2010's "stromuhr" and 2011's "cymotrichous". See what I mean? Pshhhh.

I've had the honor of being the first to introduce the kids to several American delicacies since living here: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Funfetti cake, banana chocolate-chip muffins, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, peanut butter and [anything], and, avocados. I taught Anna about avocado toast, and it is now her favorite food. The tricky thing about our deceptively fruity friend is that you really have to wait for them to be ready. Anna didn't want to wait, so yesterday she cut into a very unripe avocado and was devastated to see that it was not as spreadable on bread as she liked it to be. Her solution, which she was sure would make it the perfect consistency, "Well... I put it in the microwave." Adorable. Things like that make me so excited to be a middle school teacher someday.

The appointment I just had at Apple's Genius Bar has left me glowing. I'm pretty sure I'll never be dissuaded of Apple's supremacy over other computer type things (but maybe the fact that I say phrases like "computer type things" is a giveaway that Apple's easy-to-use appeal is all I really need.) My laptop, after it's total makeover and heart surgery, and my wallet, after getting $250 in repairs completely free, agree with me on this too.

It's June it's June it's June!

No comments:

Post a Comment