Sitting on a bench. Reading "The Hobbit". Thinking. Praying. People watching.
I wrote this in my treasured little notebook as I sat there, and thought I'd share:
Amongst the shattered glass of champagne bottles responsible for so many people's headaches today, and the bursted remains of fireworks lying quiet now, having fulfilled their purpose, I have to wonder what everyone else is doing outside on this day. Any day you decide to go out is intentional, of course, but why on the 1st? Shouldn't it be considered at least a little bit different than just another day? Today especially, I can't help but think-- Is the out-of-breath jogger who just ran by starting her New Year's Resolution to get in shape? Is the middle-aged couple holding hands starting their resolution to walk together more? Is the woman rowing in the river, her paddles turning awkwardly and lacking fluidity from the imperfect motion of her arms, trying to rekindle an old passion? In the sea of trash on the ground lies the reminder that our "past" was only yesterday. But the feet of the people anxious for the future are slowly but surely kicking it all away- remembering what it held, but wanting it cleaned.
I suppose that I came outside today for similar reasons. To bring in the first day with the same sentimentality as my German counterparts. The Lord has me here on January 1st, listening to Phil Wickham's Divine Romance, knowing without a doubt that "the fullness of His grace is here with me." I think the Lord reveals little pieces of his puzzle with each day, and perhaps by the end of the year, a piece has been placed. It is so exciting to start a new puzzle piece-- being left to wonder what it will hold by the time our next January 1st comes around. But in the meantime, I'm content knowing that no matter what day it is, "in Your presence, I'm completely satisfied."
No comments:
Post a Comment