Some readers may recall me mentioning that I developed a small gambling problem with the U-bahn (Subway) system. See, in the 75 days that I've been here, not once have I seen someone checking tickets on the U-bahn within the 3 minutes that it takes me to get to my stop. Well, shoot me in the foot and call me Plaxico Burress-- today was the day.
As I took my seat in the middle of the train, I turned just in time to see four men, clad in their "VGF" windbreakers and anxious to use their fancy ticket machines. I panicked. The doors were about to close, otherwise I would have seriously considered just running off the train. Two of the men took over our car, starting on each end. This gave me about 15 obedient Germans to be checked on either side before it was the ignorant American's turn.
Okay. How much money have I spent this month? Can I afford to just get a ticket and lose 40 Euro? No. Why would you ever think to give up that easy? What would Jason Bourne do? ...You had a Monthly Pass, but I think it expired a week ago. Do you get it out? No. No time. Well... you know what you have to do then.
Conveniently, the two men finished their respective sides of the car and were left to tend to yours truly at the same exact time- Oh hey, intimidation. Since they figured I knew what they wanted, at first they said nothing- but after exchanging confused glances, finally came:
"Haben sie Fahrkarte?"
"Umm.. I... what? I'm sorry? What? I don't..." And then came speaking German in my best American accent: "I have in mid-December a monthly ticket bought, but can I only in December use? Or for 30 days use?"
The men ceded, asked if I was just going home, and let me go. I got off the train 10 seconds later, feeling quite pleased that I'd found the two nicest ticket men in Germany.
Let the record show (mainly so that I can sleep at night) that I really haven't made a habit of riding without a ticket- but when I went to leave for school yesterday, the back tire on my bike was completely void of air, and has since refused to keep any in. This is how I justify my experience, but I'm warning you- don't try this at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment