Zoe and I had a good conversation about crying today. From this conversation I've concluded that crying is vastly misunderstood. Whenever you hear someone say that they cried, the initial reaction is to say "Oh no!" This is good. We are supposed to sympathize and comfort. But that doesn't mean that we should frown upon crying or think that it's a bad thing. Zoe had a great point- There's something beautiful about crying. Something about it makes you realize that there's gotta be more. You're crying because of some poor circumstances now, but you will inevitably stop crying, at least for a time... I agree, and also see the other side of crying-- I'm a crier. I cry at both sad and beautiful things. This has painted me "sappy" to friends in the past, but I feel like crying at beautiful things has to be a minutia of Heaven. The idea that something could be so beyond words or facial expression that you must resort to the most honest human demonstration of vulnerability. I've experienced these "happy tears" when: I saw the Alps. When the groom cried as he watched his bride walk down the aisle. And any circumstances where people who have had a hard life get a break (thank you, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.) I just feel like, if I cried at some mountains, what will seeing my Father be like?? Then I get very excited for Heaven. Then I cry more.
Since I'm fairly certain my dad is the only one who reads this, please don't think that I am an emotional basket case. I actually haven't cried in several.... hours.... Just kidding, dad, I'm very much okay :)
Zoe and I are continuing our Indie date at Linnea's coffee shop, where I'm sitting, very Indie-ly blogging. But not before we walked past Urban Outfitters, & listened to Josh Garrels in the car (shout out to Indiana).
Garr-ELS! He cries at beautiful things too. Like his own music, for instance.
ReplyDeleteWill you feature your thoughts about "rocking hugs" in an upcoming blog post?
ReplyDelete