Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ride High You Mustangs

During my junior year of high school I visited San Luis Obispo and toured the Cal Poly campus. After that visit, I never looked back. That was the school for me. My junior year is a blur with the amount of stress it was to earn good grades, knowing that Cal Poly wouldn't accept anything less. During fall of my senior year, I applied with the intention of "putting all my eggs in one basket". My parents forced me to apply to two other safety schools just in case, but I was far too stubborn to consider the possibility of not living in SLO, even if it took a couple years of community college to get there.

We weren't supposed to hear back from the admissions office until March, but I checked my "Application Status" every single day starting in November. In Mid-February, closer but still not quite the time to find out, I sat down at my parents computer for the daily check. Completely caught off-guard, I saw that the Application Status had changed. Where for months it had shown "Pending" it was now showing "Congratulations! You have been officially accepted." I don't know why or how I remember that it was around 5:15pm, my mom was making dinner in the kitchen, and the house smelled wonderful. I came downstairs with sort of bulged-out eyes and stopped on the landing looking at my mom "What's wrong?" "I got in..." And the rest is history. From an 18-year-old freshman at my first college football game to my graduation at 22, Cal Poly was the best school I could have attended.




And now to justify all the cheesy memoirs of my journey to Cal Poly. This morning this email was waiting for me in my inbox: 


Thanks for everything Cal Poly, including a 3-year transition out of my old email address. You are the best university a girl could have asked for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment