Friday, July 5, 2013

Nach einem Jahr...

The past few days have each contained some sort of -versary in my dates-oriented brain.

First, July 3rd marked the 2nd birthaversary of this little blog! I wonder how the "Terrible Two's" translate in blog life... Readers will probably be on the worse end of this. Maybe me write terrible this year and you no like. 

Next, of course, the independeversary of our not so little country. I enjoyed the company of some friends, a pool, and a turkey burger with avocado all wrapped in lettuce... a true Californian 4th. I also made an ice cream "cake" that was incredibly popular despite my extreme lack of time and effort expended on it. If you have a party to bring dessert to and you only have 5 minutes- bring this. Note: Mine did not look as pretty as that one, but it did have blueberries and strawberries on top arranged to look like our flag. Take that, Woman's Day. 

Lastly, today the fifth of July is the one-year returnaversary of yours truly from the land of Bratwurst and Apfels. You know how everyone is always like, "OMG OMG I can't believe it's been a year!!" I'm sort of more like, "Yeah, it's been a year." This is not meant to sound negative, I just mean that a ton has happened in the time that I've returned that it would worry me if it'd all happened in just a couple months. I'm so thankful for the experience I had in Germany. I've spent the past year as a slightly modified and refined version of myself because of how that experience changed me and continues changing me. I still miss learning in the way that I learned there, but I suppose if I'm in the business of wanting to learn that I chose the right profession. I miss Frankfurt a lot. I can't wait to go back and for the rush of memories to hit me as hard as the people around me will hit me when I'm in their way in the train station. Nach einem Jahr... und alles in Ordnung. Ich bin sicher, dass Deutschland die beste Zeit von meinem leben war...  soweit!

"If we don't offer ourselves to the unknown, our senses dull. Our world becomes small and we lose our sense of wonder. Our eyes don't lift to the horizon; our ears don't hear the sounds around us. The edge is off our experience, and we pass our days in a routine that is both comfortable and limiting. We wake up one day and find that we have lost our dreams in order to protect our days. This is why we travel." 
-S. Ward Harrison







Bis gleich, meine Lieben!

2 comments:

  1. The photograph of the snowy courthouse or whatever is really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it..err.. glad that it strikes you. It's the "Old Opera" House- "Alte Oper" in sweet little Frankfurt!

    ReplyDelete