Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ft. Benning, GA

In the sea of thoughts I have regarding a summary of 2013 or whatever, I still haven't been driven to blog in quite sometime. In fact, disappointingly enough, I wasn't even able to meet my one-blog-per-month quota in December. I suppose I'm more selective these days on which topics I choose to wax verbose.

September 11, 2001. I didn't really know much about the World Trade Centers, but I remember being woken up to watch the news around 6:00 in the morning. I remember watching the second plane hit the South tower on live television, and later crying when they collapsed. And I remember my 11-year-old brother Shaun sitting next to me.

Shaun's fascination with the military has not shifted out of 5th gear since that day. Tonight, I gave him a long and very tearful (on my part) hug goodbye as he heads off to Georgia tomorrow to begin his service as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army. It's so strange— for a long time my family said, "Shaun wants to be in the Army but that's still years away." When he went to Oregon for college it was, "Shaun is in ROTC but his official service is still four years away." And slowly time crept. All of a sudden we were saying, "Shaun is leaving for the Army... tomorrow."

I am so proud of my baby brother. He has pursued his dream with an unfailing passion and a work ethic that I have yet to find in any of my 165 dallying high school students. So Shauny... Shaun-Bob... Shaun Robert. I love you and will miss you while you are in the South! My gratefulness for your service will never be great enough. Thank you. Even though you're the "little" brother, you've always been there for me to lean on you.




Oh, my heart. It melts for these three.

No comments:

Post a Comment