Telling people about my upcoming relocation to the land of das Boot is a guaranteed way to invoke some solid reactions. Most of these people are strangers, or friends of my parents whom I've never met. A definitive spectrum has evolved over the past few months, and I can now plot 4 consistently yielded responses.
Conservative response: The "What are you thinking?" reaction
Probably my least favorite of the responses, its most brutal plot point came with some random customers of mine. Never have I been deliberately rude to one of my tables because of irritation-- until now. Sure, I could have handled it better and been more patient.. But these 2 people that I've "known" for 10 minutes had looked me in the face and said, "Well, you tell your parents that you met a couple people who think you're making a BIG mistake." (Direct quote. Hard to forget.) To them I say the customer is not always right.
Mildly-conservative response: The "But whyyyy???" reaction
I love you, friends :) And I will still love you in a different time zone.
Moderate response: The "Good for you!" reaction
This is my favorite response because, well, at the end of the day I am still going to Germany-- and the more support the better. I know it's a crazy thing to do but hop on the Crazy Train with me! Helps me sleep at night.
Liberal response: The "Foreign MRS degree" reaction
No, I am not going to find more fish in the sea. "You're going to find a nice German boy and never come back!" Not to worry, mom and dad. This is what people told me before I went to Cal Poly.
Consider this my formal 2 weeks notice, America.
No comments:
Post a Comment