Well this is one of those things that is sort of embarrassing because it's been so long... I feel like a puppy who ran away and is coming back because it's raining. Sorry for the 10 month delay, blog and followers, but I have been very busy learning.
Turns out that since my post in January, I've learned. And I've learned a lot. Not to jump the gun on my reflection of the year, but also no one is actually keeping track, so I'll do as I please. And wouldn't you know it, I'm sitting in an airport right now. Seems there is something about this type of building that has some sort of effect which drives me back to 4th and Inches. [Puns always intended.] After 5 excellent days of visiting with my not-so-baby-sister, I'm heading "home" to.... Denver, CO. It's a pretty strange feeling to be leaving a place and going home to another place, but the other place isn't necessarily "home". But it is! I love Colorado, and it's turning into home; it's still just a strange feeling, okay?
Feeling is a funny thing. If I had a nickel for every feeling felt so far in 2015, I would have all of the nickels. This year has brought the highest of highs and the lowest of lows that I've experienced thus far in my 27.5 years, an array of new learning experiences, and with them all the feelings that coincide therein. This year has taught me what people really mean when they (and by they, of course, I mean LeAnn Rimes) say, "Life Goes On". It has also taught me that I'm capable of moving to a new place and being just fine. This year has taught me APA format, and to never forget to not italicize the edition number of a book. It's taught me how to manage grad school and a full time teaching job... Not how to [do it all really well] but to manage it all. It's taught me that when opportunity knocks, taking it is the best thing you can do— I was already pretty sure of this, but 2015 confirmed it to be true. It has taught me how to get 8th graders to stop talking, how to interview for and obtain a job in Colorado over the phone while traveling in Italy. The year has taught me how to travel with 41 high school students, how to drive across the country, how to be a better friend, and how to be so humbled by and appreciative of my friends. Two thousand fifteen has taught me how to love, how to lose, and that it really is better to have had the former than to never have had it at all.
Again and again, it has taught me to trust God, and all the cliches that may come with learning that lesson. I've learned how real and raw this quote is from Ray Ortlund's father, "Well, I've tried to get perspective and come back again to God, the
great Arranger of our lives. He in love and wisdom has acted again
without consulting me! One day we will look back and see he was right
again. But right now it is very disappointing."
You've been a great one, 2015. And I don't even think you're done yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment